Daniel wrote:
>>> I am not sure what is actually going on,
>>> but since last few updates of Seamonkey, I have a problem with
>>> periodically Seamonkey being unresponsive with large disk access
>>> for about up to an minute or more.
>>>
>>> During that time everything is frozen in Seamonkey and during that time,
>>> there is large disk usage from Seamonkey and I need to wait for SM to
>>> stop molesting HDD and actually do something I am doing (writing,
>>> viewing pages, etc).
>
> Ant, you must have been reading my mind.......well sort of!!
>
> If nikolam has his cache set to a large value, and SM actually reaches
> this value, does SM wipe the entire cache or just a certain amount (5%,
> 10%, whatever)??? I wonder!!

It also happens on another machine that runs SunOS instead of Linux -
Illumos/OpenIndiana 151a2 , while using Thunderbird 10.x as well as with
Seamonkey on Linux Xubuntu 10.04 64-bit LTS. On Ubuntu I am using POP3
Gmail and on first one I use IMAP.

So on 2 separate machine on 2 different OS'es 2 different Mozilla
applications become unresponsive during disk operations. That is what I
will call Mozilla problem in general and not some local OS disk/cache
problem. (Also while Seamonkey is drilling disk, other apps are not at
the same time and run happily)

Maybe it is due to the size of mailbox profile in general, etc or
something (definitely not disk fragmentation, since I backed up,
deleted and get back whole seamonkey profile few days ago with plenty
free disk space).

I am heavy user of Seamonkey, with dozen mail addresses, and more then
50 browser tabs opened on average , etc, but problem with whole
Seamonkey locking on disk access started appearing from 2 or 3 recent
updates ago .  It is just more apparent in Seamonkey since I am using
browser part and my whole "world" stops when it locks for a minute and more.

Instructions on how to report good bug report, (rest of machine is
working fine) about this excessive disk usage and locking, is very
welcomed.