Daniel wrote:
> nikolam wrote:
>> It also happens on another machine that runs SunOS instead of Linux -
>> Illumos/OpenIndiana 151a2 , while using Thunderbird 10.x as well as with
>> Seamonkey on Linux Xubuntu 10.04 64-bit LTS. On Ubuntu I am using POP3
>> Gmail and on first one I use IMAP.
>>

> The fact that you've found it happens on another OS surprises me not at
> all, as it has already been observed on Windows, Mac and Linux I had
> thought it may have been related to the amount of memory allocated to
> Cache, but I don't think Thunderbird uses much Cache, and, if your still
> having problems with Thunderbird, then that shoots that theory down!!

It seems to me that some core component (regarding e-mail part of
Seamonkey and Thunderbird) was changed relatively recently
and is doing "something" with hard disk on all platforms, accessing
profile data, that chokes rest of the application and freezes it until
it finish what it was doing with the disk.

Chokes were smaller but noticable before, but now they are killing whole
applications.
Since Thunderbird and Seamonkey share code, it is Mozilla problem with
both. Sounds to mi like something is going on that was triggered with
some relatively recent changes.

Again, if anyone have idea how to report a bug about this that is good
and informative to developers, feel free to say what information could
be provided.

I also observed that disk lockups on Seamonkey and Thunderbird happen
periodically and that also hangup like that with large disk access is
Always triggered in the moment when going from offline to online network
state in SM/TB.

There is DTrace on Solaris/OpenIndiana that could provide informative
in auditing Thunderbird , just Seamonkey is not ported to Solarises yet
but will be one day if I get time.
I use Seamonkey on Linux, anyway and on Linux it is 64-bit SM version
and on Openindiana/Illumos is 32-bit TB, both x86.