Desiree wrote:
"Paul B. Gallagher"<pau...@pbgdashtranslations.com>  wrote in message
news:dzwdndeafp3kjcjsnz2dnuvz_oadn...@mozilla.org...
Desiree wrote:

"Paul B. Gallagher"<pau...@pbgdashtranslations.com>   wrote in message
news:45-dnfbd97liec3snz2dnuvz_rsdn...@mozilla.org...
Desiree wrote:

I'm curious. Do you have many bookmarks? I never use Bookmarks in SM
from drop down. I have a lot and no way I can access them from drop
down. With Fx, I have an extension, Multicolumn Bookmarks, that makes
bookmarks from drop down just like the vastly superior bookmarks in
Opera. But that extension doesn't work on SM so I always click on
Manage Bookmarks if I need a bookmark (or I just rely on the address
bar to show me the bookmark in drop down menu after I type the first
few letters). The extremely poor bookmarks in SM is barrier to my
using it as my default browser. I wouldn't be using Fx as my default
browser without Multicolumn Bookmarks.  I have 8 columns of bookmarks
on Fx and the same on SM except on SM it is one extremely long
Unmanageable column.

The reason it's one long unmanageable column is that you haven't
organized
it into folders. You can't just throw everything into "Bookmarks" and
expect to make sense of it. Whenever you save a bookmark, you have to
classify it or you'll never find it.

Why in the world would you be so presumptuous as to assume that I have no
folders for bookmarks? Geez.

Uh, because you said so? What did you mean by this?

"... except on SM it is one extremely long Unmanageable column."

On my machine, if I classify bookmarks into folders, then I have a
reasonably short list of folders, each of which opens to a reasonably
short list of bookmarks when I mouse over it. If that were your situation,
why would you describe it this way?

Err...because I have HUNDREDS of folders? About 50 per column and subfolders
inside some folders some with with hundreds of bookmarks. I also have some
bookmarks that simply don't fit into any folder so they are "loose" ones.
Actually, I have found that the best way to find a bookmark, if you can
remember any part of it, is to type a few words in the address bar. The
folders are for when you can't recall anything to type to trigger Fx or SM
bookmark and history search. My SM history goes back to 2009 but there is a
gap of about 1.5 years (2010) when I didn't use SM. My Fx 4 history has
every page visited since I installed 4.0 a year ago (I installed it in a
separate folder or it would have even more history if I had upgraded on top
of my 1.5 version which I probably could not have done anyway as too large a
leap between versions).

So, the easiest way to find a bookmark, or visited page, is to type a few
words that describe it in the address bar. Thus, I don't use bookmarks per
se today nearly as much as I did before Mozilla so greatly increased history
storage and made it an automatic calculation.  But I still am irritated by
SM having one very long Bookmarks column instead of multicolumns when I do
want to use bookmarks to find a bookmark.

Paul B. Gallagher

Desiree, I would agree with you that it would be nice if there were columns available in the bookmarks screen (I'm getting close to full screen length on a couple of my folders!!)

I'll ask the next, logical, question, though......What happens when the columns are created ....... and we fill the screen with columns?? Buy wider screens?? Install second/third/etc. screens??

--
Daniel