Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
But if I were reading this through webmail, and I had SM programmed to
reject images that didn't come from the originating server, then only
if my ISP were cnet.com would it load this, right? Which is the
question I asked several posts back.

Well, it was in an email from cnet.com, and they are not an ISP. I
guess you would see the images at your webmail page. My wife uses
hotmail, has the SeaMonkey setting to not load external images, but
still sees them in any HTML email she opens at hotmail. So I suppose
the answer is "you would see them." (Unless they were 0x0 or 1x1 pixel
images which would be invisible)

The difference, I assume, is that the setting is for the email client
and not the browser. Two different animals.

Not the same setting, as I showed upthread. Here's the browser setting I
was asking about:

Edit | Preferences | Privacy&  Security:

Image Acceptance Policy
Specify how SeaMonkey handles images
(o) Do not load any images
(•) Only load images that come from the originating server (o) Load
all images

I'd be interested in hearing what an expert has to say about how
effective this would be. Does "the originating server" mean the
website you're visiting? If I visit devils.nhl.com, will I get images
from nhl.com?

See?

Yes, and as I said, that is an email setting, not a browser setting. As
SeaMonkey has both email and browser, the Preferences are all in the same
place. Now, if you examine the separate Firefox and Thunderbird, you will
find that same setting only in Thunderbird.

It's in Thunderbird's about:config as:

mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image   boolean

The setting does not exist in the browser, so there is no control for
what you would see at a web page.

No. The pref I describe corresponds to permissions.default.image. The options are:
1 (default) -- load all images
2 -- do not load any images
3 -- only load images that come from the originating server

The email setting you describe, which is at
Edit | Preferences | Mail & Newsgroups | Message Display:
[ ] Block images and other content from remote sources

does correspond to mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image. The options are:
true -- Block images and other content from remote sources
false (default) -- do not block images and other content from remote sources

You can read about permissions.default.image here:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Permissions.default.image>

This preference controls part of the permissions extension, which is now built by default. The permissions extension allows for a more complete method of allowing, blocking, and restricting content displayed in the browser—including images. Here, the permissions preference takes over image behavior duties from network.image.imageBehavior. It works essentially the same way as the old preference, except the possible values are different (and in different order).

Paul B. Gallagher