Michael Gordon wrote:
Lisa Wiser wrote:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
One more thing the webmail apps are not capable of... when HTML email
from either malicious or regular mail uses web beacons to track you
and your opening of the email - thus proving you're a live person and
you opened the email - you cannot stop it. Most email clients like SM
and TB allow you to *block* the loading of these beacons. Examine the
source code of most spam and most business email; you will find code
calling up 1 pixel by 1 pixel images, with coded parameters. You read
in webmail, you've been tagged. This is especially good for the
spammers, who will now send you much more of it.

Could I bother you for a teaching moment? How do I block such things?
Besides turning off my HTML ability (which unfortunately I do frequently
actually *need*) what can I do to make more email safer?

Much as I complain, the currrent spam catcher with AT&T/Yahoo is
tolerable. No where near as great as what was in place while there was a
WORLDNET, but tolerable. I go to my web server mail and do a check for
"missed spam," mark it, and that sends it to the SPAM bucket. Plus it
gives me a chance to look in the spam bucket and find that email that's
been improperly flagged. But, I'd like to have even more protection if I
can.

Can you provide a quick tutorial or point me to documentation that helps?

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa,

The majority of SPAMMERS use remote servers to track your e-mail and web
sites you visit. You can block these intrusions and tracking by
selecting Preferences/Advanced/cookies, and images. Set both to receive
from the originating server.

You must remember what you have set in Preferences because legitimate
web sites may also use remote images (PayPal, eBay, banks, etc.).

Michael G

Michal and Lisa, as an example, several years ago, I was probably using Mozilla Suite and had it set to *not* show stuff coming from remote servers.

One day I was trying to purchase something from Amazon.ca, but could not see a "Proceed to Check-out" button.....because it came from Amazon.com, i.e. a remote server.

Somebody, probably on the secnews server group, pointed out the error of my way!!

--
Daniel