Daniel wrote:
Larry S. wrote:
Pat Connors wrote:
How do I stop automatic updates? When 2.8 was updated, I couldn't get it
to work so deleted it and downloaded 2.7.2 and got it to work without
any problems. Wasted almost a whole day playing around. This morning I
got up and turned on the computer and again, the 2.8 update was there.
Luckily I knew what to do, not try to get 2.8 to work but delete it and
get on IE and download 2.7.2 again. I don't want to go through this
every morning...so need to stop the automatic updates.

Is there anyone else, beside me who can't get 2.8 to open?

Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Software Installation>Uncheck "Automatically
download and install the update"

Not sure if your experience is the same, but I've had a problem with
getting updates to work since somewhere in the 2.x series. Downloads and
"installs" o.k., but when I X out of the opening Release Notes page I
get a message "XUL Runner--Couldn't read application.ini." SM is dead at
that point, but downloading using IE (ugh!) delivers a working copy
for me.

Always save a copy of your profile, as this will save your sanity.
Always save a copy of the installer for the previous version (in your
present case 2.7.2) when you first get it, as this will save finding and
downloading it again if you need it.

HTH

Larry

SM 2.8 works for me, except the little problem of the cursor changing to
indicate download action occurring when it's basically anywhere on the
mail/NG screen, except for the message display area.

Larry, why do you have to keep downloading SM 2.7.2 each time it updates
to SM 2.8?? Why not download a full version of SM 2.7.2 onto your
hard-drive, so if you have to re-install it, you already have a copy??

Mostly, I don't. (The 2.7.2 to 2.8 reference was commenting on the experience of the previous poster.) My last several updates failed (see above), and when the failed upgrade was "installed" it eliminated the prior version. Guess if I wanted to keep the full version to go back to, I'd need to install the upgrade in a different location, but I rarely want to go back. The installer is just there as a last resort.