Rickles wrote:

Short of moving everything to a new profile, can someone suggest
something else to check for how this display is being done? I thought
 there was a way to select between ">>" symbols vs vertical indent
bars for showing quoted text in messages, but I can't find it now
under any preferences.

In general, text messages use ">" and HTML messages use bars. Bars are not technically feasible in plain text. Occasionally, ">" are not interpreted in HTML messages and you can see them.

Paul B. Gallagher