MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 11/05/2012 00:58, David Lawler told the world:
This totally mystifies me. A week ago I installed SM 2.9.1, apparently
successfully, replacing (I thought) 1.1.19. I noticed right away my
computer ran slower. Finally, on Monday or Tuesday of this week, things
were so bad I had to give up and reboot.

So, imagine my surprise when, after rebooting, I was again running
1.1.19. I went through the process of again installing 2.9.1, again
apparently successfully. Then, again this (Thu) evening, my computer was
again tied in knots so bad I had to reboot. Again, SM 1.1.19 was running
after the reboot.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? How does 1.1.19 survive the
installation of 1.9.1? (I actually used an intermediate step, making the
actual conversion from 1.1.19 to 2.X.X in SM 2.0.5, my old profile
imported ok, then upgrading to 2.9.1.)

Win XP3, up to date, 2.5 gb memory. With 1.1.19 running, I could go
weeks without rebooting. Something is odd here.

I don't know exactly what's happening, but SM 2.x installs in a
different path from 1.x, and instead of *modifying* the profile the
migration *copies* the old profile. So you end up with two installs. For
some reason, the shortcut is still pointing to the old one.

You probably will want to *uninstall* the old SM 1.1 at some point. The
problem is, if I remember well, this may remove *all* the Seamonkey
shortcuts. A reinstall of 2.9.1 should fix that more easily than
manually recreating the shortcuts.

It will only uninstall the shortcuts it installed. I manually created shortcuts of my own (browser, mail, and profile manager) years ago, pointing to my profile. They never get deleted.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/