hawker wrote:
On 5/10/2012 11:58 PM, David Lawler wrote:
This totally mystifies me. A week ago I installed SM 2.9.1, apparently
successfully, replacing (I thought) 1.1.19. I noticed right away my
computer ran slower. Finally, on Monday or Tuesday of this week, things
were so bad I had to give up and reboot.

So, imagine my surprise when, after rebooting, I was again running
1.1.19. I went through the process of again installing 2.9.1, again
apparently successfully. Then, again this (Thu) evening, my computer was
again tied in knots so bad I had to reboot. Again, SM 1.1.19 was running
after the reboot.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? How does 1.1.19 survive the
installation of 1.9.1? (I actually used an intermediate step, making the
actual conversion from 1.1.19 to 2.X.X in SM 2.0.5, my old profile
imported ok, then upgrading to 2.9.1.)

Win XP3, up to date, 2.5 gb memory. With 1.1.19 running, I could go
weeks without rebooting. Something is odd here.

Dave

This is what will happen if you try to install the upgrade with USER and
not ADMINISTRATOR privileges (I just made the same mistake on my
multi-media computer yesterday). Is that what was going on? Are you sure
you had Administrator privileges?

Thanks everyone for your ideas. As near as I can tell, I was running as Administrator.

A brief summary of what I did: 1) I uninstalled SM1 and installed SM2; 2) SM2 installed ok but did not migrate my profile; 3) after several attempts and much research I decided to sleep on it; 4) I re-installed SM1 as I had to check my email; 5) I re-installed SM2 (with SM1 still installed); 6) SM2 installed ok and this time successfully migrated my profile; 7) I uninstalled SM1 so I no longer have the odd boot problem; SM2 works fine, except it seems to get itself tied up in knots pretty quickly, requiring SM2 to be shut down and re-started, if not a full re-boot.

Hope this is helpful to others.

DL