NoOp wrote:
> I wonder what affect this will have on the SeaMonkey email client:
>
> <http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/06/so-thats-it-for-thunderbird/>
> <http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/07/06/thunderbird-stability-and-community-innovation/>
> <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Proposal:_New_Release_and_Governance_Model>
> "Mozilla is focusing a lot of its efforts towards important web and
> mobile projects, while Thunderbird remains a pure desktop only email
> client. We have come to the conclusion that continued innovation on
> Thunderbird is not a priority for Mozilla and that the most critical
> needs for the product are on-going security and stability. In fact, it
> is quite possible that Thunderbird is already pretty much what its users
> want and there is not a high demand for innovation in this field."

I agree that the Seamonkey email client "is already pretty much what
its users want" -- but that doesn't mean we wouldn't want something
even better, or at least have confidence that we won't be losing a
familiar tool that so many of us depend on so heavily all day, every day.

I've fallen completely for the Sync feature, and have been dreaming
about being able to Sync address books across my computers. It's quite
a shock to hear the opposite, that the Mozilla folks are about to
abandon further development of Thunderbird, and by extension Seamonkey
too.

The idea that webmail is clearly superior is incredibly absurd! I'm
glad it works for lots of other folks (though I suspect mainly because
they don't realize there are superior alternatives). I use webmail
often, and hate every minute of it....