On 8/6/12 4:18 PM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> NFN Smith wrote:
>
>> It's the same directory as your user profile.
>
> I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I still don't know where
> that might be.  I have tried "about:profile" and got nothing;
> I have looked in all the obvious places in Edit/Preferences,
> and I still have no idea where my profile is stored.  Is
> there a single file, with a reasonably unique name, that
> is stored in my user profile directory and for which I can
> search ? Tools / Switch profile allows me to launch the
> Profile manager, but not even that is prepared to disclose
> where my profile is stored.
>
> Philip Taylor

On the SeaMonkey menu bar, select [Help > Troubleshooting Information].
 The 4th line under "Application Basics" is "Application Basics" with a
button labeled "Show Folder".  Select that button.  It opens the window
for your current profile.

DO NOT EDIT prefs.js.

Only edit user.js, which overrides prefs.js when SeaMonkey is first
launched.  That is, if SeaMonkey is already running, changes to user.js
become effective only when you terminate and then relaunch SeaMonkey.

Alternatively, you may make changes via about:config.  You enter
"about:config" (without the quote marks) in the address area (URI bar)
in SeaMonkey.  Changes there become effective immediately.

The difference between user.js and about:config is that you can insert
comments into the former to remind you why you entered a particular
setting.  You cannot annotate about:config, which is why I generally use
user.js and discuss it first.

This discussion started with a question about setting the UA string.  To
override the default, the preference variable is
        general.useragent.override
Unless you set it to a non-standard value, you will NOT see this via
about:config.

Some final warnings:  Some preferences require more than a single
preference variable, and some require some housekeeping when they are
changed.  Thus, you should first resort to [Edit > Preferences] on the
SeaMonkey menu bar before using user.js or about:config.  If the setting
you want cannot be accessed that way -- and changing the UA string
cannot -- you might then consider using a well-tested, much-used
extension instead of user.js or about:config.  Two such extensions for
changing the UA string are PrefBar (my preferred) or UserAgentSwitcher.
 On the other hand, if you merely want to defeat bad sniffing, try
enabling "Advertise Firefox compatibility" from the SeaMonkey menu bar
with [Edit > Preferences > Advanced > HTTP Networking].  Both of these
methods (extension or "Advertise Firefox compatibility") should handle
all related preference variables and housekeeping without terminating
SeaMonkey and relaunching it.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross