On 11/1/2012 12:04 PM, Rufus wrote:
Philip TAYLOR wrote:

Rufus wrote:
...and that "we're not being paid/feel free to code it yourself" thing
really annoys me, frankly.  I'd expect *more* dedication and
responsiveness to the user base from *volunteers* than I would from a
corporation...you'd think...I mean, why else volunteer for *anything*?

Pay for a browser, pay for a support contract, and you will have every
right to be annoyed when you don't get the support you paid for.
Get a browser for nothing, get support for nothing, and you /still/ feel
you have the right to be annoyed when you don't get the support you
haven't paid for ?
Words fail me.

Philip Taylor

*That* is the total sum of why volunteers are to be respected - they
work out of passion, and not for profit.  And that's why I expect more
of them - *much* more.

Do do a lot of stuff out of passion myself...mostly I build things.  I
spend my own money, or I do stage work for nothing or next to it.  But I
do it *right* or I stop doing it.  I don't complain about the complaints
of others - I try to fix them, or I try to explain why I can't.  I don't
lean on the "excuse" of "well, I'm not getting paid".

Everyone has a right to complain...all I'm asking for is more
explanation and less whining.

Maybe there are a "ton" of bugs, but they don't seem to cause problems for most of us. I've been using SM years, and it's worked very well for the last few years, and the very few problems I've had were resolved here, and promptly.

Really, it hasn't been any better on the commercial products, in my experience. Yay, volunteers!