LMH wrote:
Daniel wrote:
LMH wrote:
Daniel wrote:

<Snip>

The "use every time" check box refers to the "cookie permission rule"
and not to the cookie itself.

When you have cookie expiration set to "ask for each cookie", a prompt
box appears every time a site tries to set a cookie. There are three
buttons to choose from.

1. allow
2. allow for session
3. block

There is also a check box "use my choice for all cookies from this site"

If you check the "use my choice for all cookies from this site" check
box, a rule is created in the data manager under the domain that
attempted to set the cookie. If you select "allow" and "use for all",
you will never get asked again. Every time you go to that site, the rule
is applied instead of prompting you for what to do. If you look in your
cookie manager, you will find hundreds of rules for domains. Most of
these are set to block a site from setting cookies.

It is these rules that seem to be Disappearing. If I close SM and open
it again, when I open my browser I find no cookie rule for the google
domain what so ever. There is a "never save" passwords rule, but nothing
for cookies. If I go to google and select "allow for session" and "use
for all", there will be an entry in the cookie manager showing this
rule. If I close SM and open again, the rule is gone and I have to
manually set the cookie permissions for google again.

This is absolutely new behavior. I have been using SM since it was
mozilla, and ever since session cookies were introduced, I have been
doing things more or less the same way.

Even if I manually add a rule in the data manager, it is not there after
I close and reopen SM. It is the cookies that expire at the end of the
session, not the rules you create for cookie permissions.

LMH

LMH, the only thing (to me) then is that your changes are not being
saved!! Could you check to see if some file in your set-up/profile is
set to "Read Only"??  Maybe Prefs.js or thereabouts!!

I checked the Prefs.js file and it is not set to read only. Below is the
ls -l of the profile directory (from cygwin). There appears to be
read/write/execute for everything in this directory.

I'm leaning toward this being a bug in 2.14.

LMH

<Snip file properties screen info>

O.K., you've got me well and truly confused!!

When I look at your reply, in the header I see:-

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Firefox/17.0 SeaMonkey/2.14

Note the "Windows NT 5.1", so I was expecting you are on Win (Vista, I think), so to see a Linux type file properties screen info......guess you're mugging you browser so it works with some sites!!

I've never considered this type of properties display, I normally just use Konqueror or Dolphin to examine file properties!!

Is this screen telling me that you, as user, do not have "read" and/or "write" access to prefs.js and you, as user, don't have "write" access to places.sqlite??

If so, there's your problem!!

--
Daniel