Interviewed by CNN on 06/12/2012 06:36, Geoff Welsh told the world:
> I just discovered a very big problem, and it's not new.
> It's regarding, using POP Gmail, and the Server Settings in SM Mail,
> regarding whether to leave messages on the server, or not, or for how long.
>
> I have two different Mac's
> Old:  OSX 10.4.6 SM2.0.13
> Newer:  OSX 10.6.8 SM2.14.1
>
> On the old machine, regardless of which setting I pick, it deletes
> everything from Gmail server (went via web and looked)
>
> On the new machine, regardless of which setting I pick, it deletes
> nothing from Gmail server (went via web and looked)
>
> Can't be just me?  It's two different machines, and both also access a
> RR.com server and that server does what SM tells it to do
>
> So, anybody else on Mac seeing this?

Well, by default Gmail does *not* delete messages after POP downloading,
only "fakes" deleting as far as the POP client is concerned.

If you wish Gmail to actually delete the downloaded messages, you have
to set a Gmail option accordingly:

<http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13290>

(Personally, I think IMAP is a much better option for working with Gmail
-- folders map to tags, you have access to the "spam" folder, you can
have the same messages available in various devices. And with 10Gb of
capacity, most people shouldn't have a problem overfilling the mailbox.
But to each his own.)

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... Sent from my Barbie Dream Computer.
* Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.14.1 *