David E. Ross wrote:

On 1/2/13 6:13 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

I've never been able to figure out why some people want to have both
programs installed. If you have the full Acrobat program, what good is
the Reader? You already have a perfectly good reader in Acrobat. So
don't confuse them, and don't confuse the OS, and don't confuse SM.
Delete the Reader and just run Acrobat.

Full-featured Adobe Acrobat (reader and writer) costs money.

I know that. That's why I said "IF you have the full Acrobat program...." I was assuming you'd bought and paid for it already.

Updates cost money.

Updates within a version are free. Updates to new versions do cost money. But as you indicate below, you haven't updated to a new version in 14 years.

Once you have installed it, you have the capability of creating PDF
files and really do not need updates to continue creating PDF files.

Yes.

However, you might need updates for the reader -- Adobe Reader -- to
avoid security vulnerabilities from "foreign" PDF files (files you
have downloaded from the Web or received as E-mail attachments).

This takes us back to my question -- why have the Reader at all if you already have Acrobat? Acrobat is perfectly capable of displaying and printing PDFs.

I have Adobe Acrobat 4.0 (from 1998?), which still meets my needs as a
writer.  Upgrading to a new version would cost me about $140.

I also have Adobe Reader 11.0, the latest version.  Upgrading was free.

When I get a new PC, I just have to be careful to install Adobe Acrobat
before I install Adobe Reader for SeaMonkey to use the latter.

So does Reader 11 let you view files that Acrobat 4 can't display? Is that the point? It hadn't occurred to me that you might still be running a 1998-vintage program.

Paul B. Gallagher