I've had a similar issue with recent versions of SeaMonkey but don't know whether SM is causing the problem, my AT&T mailbox on Yahoo, or my dial-up connection.

Any time the content of an email is "large" say about 100K, it is not deleted from the Yahoo mailbox. Instead, the large email kills the flow leaving the large email and all others on Yahoo. Since the large email was not POPed, the next attempt at getting email just repeats the large message.

The workaround is to manually delete large emails from Yahoo via the browser.

I suspect that this is a timing issue caused by the slow dial-up connection.