Interviewed by CNN on 07/03/2013 07:06, Daniel told the world:
> I've just published my Family Tree on a website (tribalpages.com) and
> can include photo's of the people.
>
> As hard as it seems for WaltS, here, to believe, my normal e-mail
> account has only a 500Kb (at any one time) limit before it costs me
> extra money, so I don't want relo's sending me photo's there and costing
> me money.

Yeah, that's hard to believe. Even in the pre-Gmail era 20 Mb accounts
were the baseline. That's a weird pricing model you have there... are
you sure you limit isn't 500 Mb (instead of 500 kb)? That's still wimpy
for current standards, but more believable.

> Has anybody here got a recommendation of somewhere I can easily set up a
> Freeby e-mail account, from which I can then download the e-mails (and
> photo attachments) into a second SeaMonkey e-mail account (i.e. don't
> want to deal with my mail via the browser!) which would have a greater
> mail limit (I think I've heard of some sites having 20Mb mail account
> limits!!).

Well, let's see... there are a number of other services, but let's look
a the big ones:

Outlook.com (that is, "Hotmail Redux") has a good mailbox size and a
spiffy new web interface. But right now it only supports POP and their
own proprietary Exchange protocol. They promised IMAP for sometime down
the road, but right now it isn't an option, and MS has a bad history in
supporting IMAP. So I would leave this aside for the moment.

Yahoo has a supposedly "unlimited" mailbox size. If you look through
their site, they will say that POP and IMAP are only for paying
customers, not free ones. However, that's not strictly true: IMAP is
actually available due to the need to cater to mobile users. I receive
my Yahoo mail in Seamonkey by IMAP and I have never paid a dime.

Mail.com is similar to Yahoo regarding POP and IMAP support (supposedly
only for paid customers, but IMAP is quietly available in order to work
with mobile users), although they don't claim giving you unlimited
storage. Mail.com is a bit spammy, in that they will send "offers" and
"bulletins" to your mailbox a couple times a week.

Gmail offers 10 Gb of storage and both free POP and IMAP, but they are
disabled by default. There's plenty of documentation in their website
about how to turn on POP and/or IMAP. Check the Thunderbird and "other
clients" instructions to set up Seamonkey.
Gmail has some odd quirks -- their spam filter cannot be turned off, for
instance. They don't allow executable attachments even inside zip files.
And they will silently "deduplicate" messages you receive twice without
asking -- such as receiving the same message from two different Yahoogroups.

With the large storage available nowadays, I became a strong proponent
of IMAP. There are several reasons for that:
1. You can set up several computers, and your mobile/tablet, with the
same account without having to worry about syncing issues.
2. IMAP gives you access to the SPAM folder, so you can easily check for
false positives. If you use POP, you have to log on to the web interface
now and again to check the spam folder.
3. IMAP seems to be a better fit for mobile computing, since support for
progressive downloading of the messages (only the heading first, then
message bodies and attachments only when the user requests it) is
available by default. (It IS possible to use progressive downloading
with POP, but it's a bit less straightforward and some ISPs mess with
the settings in their mailservers in weird ways...)

So... due to their "no IMAP now, maybe someday" stance, I wouldn't
recommend Outlook.com, unless you are pretty sure you don't want or need
IMAP. Otherwise it's a good service.

Yahoo and mail.com can be made to work (IMAP only) but with little help
from their support.

The safest choice right now seems to be Gmail -- you have both POP and
IMAP, and their documentation is good.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.