Iceman wrote:
On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 18:23:32 -0700, Rufus wrote in message

Iceman wrote:
On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 17:22:38 -0700, Rufus wrote in message

Geoff Welsh wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Iceman wrote:
I've been wondering if I should try the Macintosh version of
SeaMonkey on
my MacBook OS X 10.5.6. They say it's a Beta version, that should be
used
with caution.

Has anybody had any experience of using SeaMonkey on Mac? Any forums or
blogs you can point me to?

Seamonkey works very well on a Mac, however if you are running 10.5.6 on
a PPC Mac you will be limited to version 1.1.19 for an official build.
The latest OEM releases are Intel only.

There are a third party PPC releases of current versions of Seamonkey,
but I don't have any experience with them. Available here, if that's
what you're looking at -

https://code.google.com/p/seamonkey-ppc/

Personally, I quite dealing with beta releases after a particularly
destructive experience in updating from a 1.1.x version while evaluating
one...but hopefully that's resolved by now. Hopefully...

He said MacBook.  PPC was in PowerBook
GW

...but he's running 10.5.6, so I have to assume he's on a PPC machine.

And I'd suggest he at least update to 10.5.8.

Which, actually, is what I have. Sorry for the mistake.

However, I can't use the latest version on 10.5.8. What's the newest usable
version for Mac OS X 10.5.8? (I just can't get used to those big-cat
names.)

The main question is if you are running 10.5.8 on a PPC Mac, like I am
on my G5 iMac - in that case it's 1.1.19 as far as the official releases go.

If it's 10.5.8 on an Intel Mac then anything up to and including 2.17
should run.  I think...

Like I said, I can't use 2.17. I dl'ed it and it wouldn't run.

I then got 1.1.19, which did work. However, it's a 3-year-old release and
may have problems with security. Also, a page I tried came out rather
poorly (too much javascript?) Still, it was worth trying out.

Thanks for your help.

here's the official info.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/legacy

You said you had 10.5 on a MacBook, which should run 2.17.
If you have 10.5 on a PowerBook then 2.0 is the highest you can go,
without using the unofficial "SeaMonkey for PPC" which is contained in the above reference.

GW