Cruz, Jaime wrote:
Dick Hoffman wrote:
On 4/30/2013 9:00 PM, Cruz, Jaime wrote:
Dick Hoffman wrote:
On 4/30/2013 5:40 PM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
If I could not register a new GPS device without installing
a manufacturer-specific plugin, I would return the device
immediately and get one from a more enlightened manufacturer.

But if you are /really/ willing to risk compromising your
computer by installing a plug-in that you don't really
want, have you checked that your system meets all the
pre-requisites :

     Supports Windows XP SP3 and later.
     Supports Internet Explorer 7+, Firefox 3.6+, Safari 5+, or
Chrome 8+.
     This download only supports Windows computers. For the Mac
download of Garmin Communicator Plugin click here.
     This software requires Windows Media Player 11 or greater (a
free download from Microsoft).

Philip Taylor
--------
Dick Hoffman wrote:
To register our new Garmin GPS device I need to download a plugin
called
Garmin Communicator 4.0.4 but SeaMonkey says it isn't compatible
with SM
2.17.1. I can't get it to install into IE 8 either although there
some
IE setting must be stopping it. Anyone out there using it with SM?
Dick

The GPS wasn't something I purchased, so it won't go back. The plugin
supports my OS and all the browsers Phil listed. I finally
registered it
using Chrome on my wife's laptop but I'd rather use the desktop for map
downloads, etc.
Dick

Interesting because in my Windows 7 VM environment I got the Garmin
Plug-In to install just fine with Seamonkey.  I don't remember doing
anything tricky to get it to install either...

That is interesting. Our User-Agents are pretty much the same except for
the OS identifiers. What level of Garmin Communicator do you have
installed? I'm trying to install Version 4.0.4.
Dick Hoffman

I spoke too soon, it seems.  Looks like I never installed the
Communicator plug-in after I built the system (I wonder how I was able
to install my maps??  Oh wait, I had the Map Installer as a separate
program, THAT'S how).

I just tried installling the Communicator and you're right, it complains
that it is not compatible with Seamonkey 2.17.2.  I know there's a way
to hack the xpi file, but I don't remember the technique...

AHA!! Got it! No need to hack the .xpi file at all. The problem isn't in the Communicator plug-in itself, it's the xpi file!!

Do NOT go to this site to install the plugin:
http://software.garmin.com/en-US/gcp.html

Instead, go here:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3607

Download the installer from THAT page. Exit Seamonkey, run the installer. When it's finished, reopen Seamonkey and go to the first link I gave you to confirm the plug-in is installed.

--
Jaime A. Cruz
Secretary

AMA District 34