David E. Ross wrote:

On 11/3/2013 8:36 PM, Peter Anton wrote:
Can someone explain the following page for me?  I get it when I click
on  the message on the Plugins tab of about:addons.

"Adobe Acrobat is known to be vulnerable and should be updated _*Update
Now_*"

   *Adobe Reader 9.5.1 and lower* has been blocked for your protection.

If you don't want to spend money to buy the latest Adobe Acrobat,
download and install the freeware Adobe Reader.  The latest version is
11.0.4.

There is no conflict in having both Adobe Acrobat (the writer) and Adobe
Reader both installed on the same system.  If you install Adobe Acrobat
before installing Adobe Reader, then the latter will be what is used for
displaying PDF files downloaded from the Web.

The wording of the notice is confusing and should be fixed ("Adobe Acrobat" in one place and "Adobe Reader" in another), but the OP appears to have the Reader and need not worry about paying to upgrade.

Paul B. Gallagher