Peter Anton wrote:

Paul,

*Update Now* gave me the error page that I quoted. That's why I'm so
confused. There seems to be no straightforward and productive route to
a workable addon.

I gave you the link to a workable add-on. Update to V. 11 and you'll be fine, SM won't block that. Here it is again:
<http://get.adobe.com/reader/>

I'd like to hear details from those who have a working system. In
the end, all I really have to do is download the PDFs and view them
in my standalone viewer installation. But, it's the principle of the
thing: I'd just like a browser with addons that work.

If you'd rather view PDFs in a standalone application, you have that option, too: Edit | Preferences | Browser | Helper Applications. Scroll through the list, find the PDF file type(s) and set them to "Use Acrobat Reader" (or whatever program you prefer). Once you've done this, anytime you click a PDF link in SM it will automatically send the file to the outside application.

Of course, you can't select an application you haven't installed, so install first and then tell SM to use that.

Paul B. Gallagher