Daniel a écrit :
»Q« wrote:
In
<news:mailman.12075.1385561002.23841.support-seamon...@lists.mozilla.org>,

When Followup-To is set, it would be better to make a note of it in
the body of the message, since many people don't routinely look at those
headers.

Setting "Followup-To: mozilla.general" is one way to continue a
discussion in public.  Setting "Followup-To: poster" is a way to
redirect the discussion to non-list e-mail.  IMO, setting it to the
bitbucket, /dev/null, is not a good idea, mostly because it's almost
guaranteed to draw negative reactions.

Just checked ... on my MandrivaLinux 2009.0 install, I don't have a
/dev/null, so any wonder my previous response hadn't gone anywhere after
90 mins!!

On the topic that launched this subthread, if someone receives help
via off-list e-mail, IMO the best thing to do is to come back to the
group/list and summarize;  there's no need to post the e-mails verbatim
or to mention the name(s) of the sender(s).

It's often been suggested here-abouts, before, that there are a lot of
lurkers that read here to get answers to their (un-posted)) problems.
Makes it real hard if the solutions are not getting posted here!

I agree.
The way the list is set up now, the reply is by default off list.
I highly doubt that many intend that, and it is certainly not in the interest of helping people find solutions. Recently I found a solution for a problem by a post on an unrelated topic to which I hadn't posted, despite posting about my topic several times on 3 different Mozilla lists. So seeing other's posts definitely helps.

To fix the default, we need a "Reply-to:" header field set to the list, instead of the "To:" header field. For those subscribed to the news group, it would be better to set it to the news group. (That is, those messages sent by the list reply by default to the list, those accessing by news reply by default to news.)

This would eliminate accidental replies off-list.

--
André