Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

If you are looking for "lost" mail search for the file "INBOX".  You
could search for any file in the mail sub-directory, but that one is
easy to remember and is rather unique.

True. But having found it, what is the OP supposed to do? You didn't say.

See below.

With Mozilla products you never need to "kill" or "deinstall"
anything. You can have as many versions of the apps and profiles as
you have room on the HDD; and use each of them as you chose.

True in principle. But do I want my email history scattered over
half-a-dozen profiles? I think not. One of the features of SM I really
like is that everything I've ever sent or received since the late 1990s
is in one place. Intact.

I agree completely.  See if the following is something you could live with.

My mail files began life in Netscape, under OS/2. Then I added Win9X to the machine. And since then the OSs and Mozilla apps have evolved. I do not get rid of an OS or Mozilla app until I no longer want it. So every machine has had since the beginning, at a minimum, two OS/2-eCS, two Win, and two Mozilla or SM suite. In the beginning I had multiples of DOS but now only have freeDOS. TB and FF is what we got when they split the Mozilla suite. The suite continued as SM which was the internal name of the development product. Once I had such a problem with SM that I sorta glued TB and FF back together by having TB run FF and pass a URL that I clicked in TB. But that got fixed and I am back to SM.

Both software and hardware have changed often in the last decade and a half. I am now running a mix of W2K, WXP and W7, I skipped Vista. I recently got a laptop with W8. I looked at it, and scrubbed the HDD and formatted it for W7.

But that one set of original mail files is all I have ever used. They have served Netscape, Mozilla suite, SM and TB, have gone from machine to machine, under various versions of two OSs, and many versions of the apps, and to my laptop when I go on the road, and back to the desktop when I return. The set has grown a bit. My primary account now has 184 files/folders. I have six other accounts plus a few that that are other people's that I setup/monitor.

If I add a new version of SM/TB/FF I need only create a shortcut for it. If I add an OS I need to create a shortcut for each app. No part of Mozilla moves. That is because I have divided the world into OSs, apps, and data. Profiles and mail are data. And mail/news are not part of the profile; that just happens to be where the default install dumps them. I have the apps on an apps partition, and profiles and mail/news on a data partition. Profiles and mail/news are in separate trees. The profile does not contain the mail/news, it points the app to it's location.

That is the overview.  Anyone interested in how?

Ray