On 17/01/14 22:19, F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Daniel wrote:
On 17/01/14 17:56, F Murtz wrote:
I used to use eternal sept but now use astraweb mainly.
But on occasion I use eternal but when I do and click on a group it
wants to update, understandable, but it then keeps interrupting and
wants to update all the other groups one at a time interrupting what I
am doing each time.

One of the settings for newsgroups is to ask you if you want to download
the headers for a group if there are more than nnn new messages.

Select Edit->Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings, select "Server
Settings" for the problem account, and under "Server Settings", select
"Ask me before downloading more than" nnn "messages", and increase the
nnn number.

That would work for a while,but in the end make the annoyance time
longer.
I do not mind being asked to download messages for the group I have
opened,that is not the problem, the problem is being interrupted and
asked for all the others which I have not opened.

When you open a News Server, it goes and tries to update all groups you have on that server. It doesn't matter if you have subscribed to just one news group or to one thousand and one news groups, it will update all groups on the account.

If you want to just check out one group, or even a small number of groups, that is all the groups you should have selected on that server.

Set-up another news server account for all those other groups which you check out less often.

--
Daniel

Seasons Greetings to one and all!!

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0 SeaMonkey/2.23 Build identifier: 20131203183810

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0 SeaMonkey/2.22 Build identifier: 20131023190942