In message <cb2dnvod-lbs5phonz2dnuvz_sudn...@mozilla.org>, cyberzen <cyber...@fr2e.invalid.fr> writes
Le 25/02/2014 11:24, Ian Jackson a écrit :
After modifying the install.rdf file, I've now I've got
ImportExportTools working with SeaMonkey, so I've been playing at
importing and exporting.

One of the tests involved using MozBackup to back up a brand new virgin
SM ('as installed'), the importing a load of WLM emails. I then used
MozBackup again to back up the well-populated SM. As  result, I had two
.pvc backup files for SM - one around 350kB, and the other around 800MB.

To try to get back to the virgin condition, I used Mozbackup to restore
the original profile - only to find all the imported emails were still
there. It had obviously NOT correctly restored the profile I wanted.

Further tests indicated that the restore function is additive, ie it
adds the restore profile to the current profile. I've checked that this
does NOT happen with Thunderbird, where the current profile is totally
deleted and replaced with the one you have chosen to restore.

I reckoned that a simple the way of persuading MozBackup Restore to give
you only the profile you wanted might be to prevent it from having
access to the current profile. A simple way of doing this is to sabotage
the path to the current profile by adding (say) 'STOP' to the SeaMonkey
folder name (in \Application Data). When I tried this, I indeed got the
virgin profile I wanted to restored (virgin, with no emails).

So.....
Has anyone else experienced this oddity?

Mozbackup is working as if it was a simple copy of the profile content.
You could have erased the profile prior restoring.

Erasing the current profile is the ultimate way of preventing SM accessing it (although if I did find that needed it, I suppose it could be retrieved from the recycle bin).

I think Mozbackup is too simple but it can solve simple problems.

With TB, it certainly does what it should do - ie replace the current profile with the backup profile. With SM, it seems to be merging the two profiles.
--
Ian