On 3/10/14 10:57 PM +0900, stan pierce wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote:
stan pierce wrote:
stan pierce wrote:
I've been having trouble for a few weeks. When I invoke things like
FaceBook and LiveJournal, there is an indication that much information
is being downloaded before the application actually is ready for use.
Usually the Task Manager Application shows "Not Responding". Sometimes
if I wait a minute or two, the application finally gets started.

I tried these with IE and they work fine.

Oh yes, disabling add-ons does not solve the problem.

I have been struggling with this issue for nearly a month.

1. It is only a problem on my XP SP3 machines which also have less
memory and slower cpu. I have no problem on newer, faster machines
running Win 7.

2. On Facebook, the problem does not exist if I am on my Timeline. I
only see it on the Newsfeed when the bottom of the screen shows
continually loading data from somewhere like akamailhd.net (sp?). This
goes on forever on the XP machines but stops almost immediately on Win
7. On the XP machine, Task Manager shows SM using 90-95 % of the CPU so
everything grinds to a very slow pace.

3. I have limited success using IE Tab which lets your browser emulate
the IE browser. This is an improvement but still not anywhere near as
good as using IE or Google Chrome directly.

4. I have tried using a brand new "Test" profile using the SM defaults,
disabled all add-ons, starting in "Safe" mode. Nothing helps on my XP
computers. As I said earlier, there is no problem on my Win 7 machines.

I'm on VISTA and a fast Acer computer but sounds like a similar problem.
I'm thinking of buying a new computer with Windows 7 or 8 but dreading
the switchover.

Moving from Vista and later to a new Windows computer is not much of a problem for most users. Profiles from Vista onward are pretty transparent. The big gotcha is to make sure you use MozBackup to pack up your SeaMonkey profiles; otherwise, you may not get the necessary SeaMonkey profile information written to the registry on the new system. A test migration of a user account using Windows Easy Transfer + MozBackup should give you a good indication of how to preserve your SM data.

--
// Trane Francks    tr...@gol.com    Tokyo, Japan