My drive is filling up and I need to move my SeaMonkey profile to another partition. The profile is bigger than the maildir on the server by almost a GB, is this for indexes or anything, can the GB difference of disk space be claimed back by removing the indexes, if any?

Should I move the files before or after changing the "Local Directory" Server Setting? I don't want to lose any new mail received if SeaMonkey sees it's mail on the sever not local and deletes it from the server thinking it was deleted previously on another client.