Mike Doroshenko II <mi...@tecknoquest.com> wrote:
> MSF are the indexes and the files without the extension are the local
> mailboxes? The size of all my MSF files is only 200MB, largest file over
> 2GB (no extension).

Yes

> I still need local copies for some messages that I may refer to more often.

That makes it difficult to save space.

> How does it know whether a message was previously deleted or not yet
> downloaded, even after expunged?

Messages have unique ID's, the program can ask the IMAP server if a
message is still current when you click on it when you are online.
The .msf files contain index information referring to the position in
the file where a message is stored.
Never delete a mail file (without extension) without deleting the
corresponding .msf file as well, this will seriously mess up things.

> Also, do I change the setting before or after moving the files?

When you right-click a folder and select properties, there is a tab
named "synchronization" where a checkmark toggles the local storage
of the mail.
There is also a global setting for the server on the settings page
for the mail under synchronization&storage, but this only affects
folders that are newly created after you change that setting.
(i.e. the setting is copied from the global setting to the folder
setting at the time you first access a folder)