Barry Edwin Gilmour wrote:
Hartmut Figge wrote on 06/11/2014 11:55 AM:
Barry Edwin Gilmour:

Heh! I already used 'Allow documents to use other fonts', so my
monospace works okay.
I am forced to do so at the moment. Otherwise the compose window, in
which i am writing in the moment, would use proportional font and the
line wrapping would occur at the edge of the window. Not at the
predefined value of 72.

I can't say I've noticed any adverse impact on the browser, by doing so.
I like serif font in the browser and on many sites i am now struck with
sans serif. :-D

Hartmut
Understood..
I found an about:config pref that looked promising ~
"mailnews.display.prefer_plaintext;false", but toggling it, and
switching the 'Allow documents to use other fonts', still changes the
text from Monospace, over to a fancy font.
Even the "View / Message Body as / Plain Text" top toolbar menu, while
still functional, can't overrule that fancy font text ~ in any
Message-Body, not just the newsgroup message bodies. Barry.

Have you checked your font spec for the encoding in question? If the message is in Unicode and you're expecting the font you specified for Western, you could be disappointed (unless, of course, they're the same).

Edit | Preferences | Appearance | Fonts

Pull down the desired encoding at top, then specify for Monospace.

Paul B. Gallagher