On 6/30/2014 5:08 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> This comes under heading of "unintended consequences".
>
> I just updated from SM 2.17.1 to 2.26.1.
>
> In browser:
>    I have my preferences set to display a blank page on startup.
> In 2.17 that resulted in displaying a blank page *AND* an
> empty(blank) address bar. With 2.17 there is a reminder that the
> address bar is for address/search terms.
>    I understand the "logic" behind the chain. Can I have back the
> desirable default?

I fail to see any harm in the default "Enter search term, keyword, or
web address".  This appears whenever the address area is blank even if
the page itself is not blank.

> In mail/news:
>     Signature block (correct term?) now appears in lighter type
> than body of the post. I find this annoying. Once again, any
> work-around?

The signature block is gray instead of black to alert you to the fact
that the signature (and anything below it) will be removed automatically
when replying to the message.  The indicator for this is the
dash-dash-space (-- ) on a line by itself at the beginning of the
signature block.

Not many versions ago, the capability was added to mail-news -- both
Thunderbird and SeaMonkey -- to suppress the dash-dash-space for E-mail.
 As indicated in another reply in this thread, that capability depends
on the preference variable
mail.identity.default.suppress_signature_separator.  If that is set
"true", your signature block will not be gray and will not be removed
when you reply to an E-mail message.  Section 4.3 of RFC 3676, however,
requires that the dash-dash-space indicator be present at the start of
the signature block for newsgroup messages.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam, flames, and trolling from that source.