On 9/10/2014 1:11 PM, David H. Durgee wrote:
> Mark Berger wrote:
>> Bill Salisbury wrote:
>>> I am having the same problem.  Having benn using it for about 20
>>> years.  Bill
>>> Pardon the poor prior message
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:23 AM, Bill Salisbury
>>> <bsalisbu5...@att.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> I  am having the same problem.  Makes SM almost useless after sing for
>>> 20 years.  Bill
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:20 AM, David H. Durgee
>>> <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Thanks to keeping an eye on this newsgroup, I have avoided the worst of
>>> the problems others
>>>   have reported by disabling the "Remember Passwords"
>>> add-on prior to upgrading SeaMonkey to the 2.29 release.  While I have
>>> avoided the worst I am still seeing problems.  Seven web sites that I
>>> was able to access with ease before the upgrade are now a problem,
>>> requiring me to go to a data manager tab and copy a password as opposed
>>> to simply having it filled in automatically.  This is annoying!
>>>
>>> Is the developer of the Remember Passwords add-on still active?  Could
>>> he issue an update that works with 2.29 that will bring back the lost
>>> function?  If not, can the developers incorporate the complete function,
>>> not the partial fix they obviously have implemented, as release a 2.29.1
>>> with it quickly?
>>>
>>> Thank you for any assistance you can give in getting this back to
>>> working as it did with 2.26.2 and the Remember Passwords
>>>   add-on.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>> SM 2.29, Win 7 Home premium
>>
>> Annoying work-around to password problem:
>>
>> 1.  Click once in 'password field'
>> 2.  Click twice in 'User ID' (or equivalent) field
>> 3.  List of IDs associated with the page URL will appear.
>> 4.  Click on the ID you want.
>> 5.  Password associated with that ID will appear.
>>
>> Four clicks to do what used to be automatic.  I've never used the
>> Remember Passwords add-on.  While I generally appreciate the advances
>> made by the SM developers,  there's no free lunch.  Two steps forward,
>> one step back.
>
> I will try that and see if it works on the ones that have the User and
> Password on the same page.  Unfortunately many of the ones that are no
> longer working have the user entry on one page and then go to another
> one for the password entry.
>
> Dave

That works in SeaMonkey 2.26 if the Remember Passwords extension is
installed and enabled.  There is a very explicit warning not to have the
extension enabled in SeaMonkey 2.29.

The problem in SeaMonkey 2.29 traces to a change in Toolkit's Password
Manager.  The problem caused by implementing bug #956906 without also
implementing bug #1025703 and bug #348941 at the same time.  That is,
only part of the "autocomplete=off" password processing has been
implemented.  Furthermore, that part makes it necessary to delete the
Remember Passwords extension, which was the only workaround for the
overall problem.

Note that the master password is requested even if the login password is
not then inserted on the password input page.  This might be considered
a security vulnerability since this leaves the master password active
for no good purpose.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.