Roger Fink wrote:
  browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTM set to true didn't do anything for me
except create a bookmarks.html folder in my SeaMonkey profile. I'm
"backing up" my SeaMonkey bookmarks by importing them from Pale Moon,
which is the only Mozilla-derived browser I'm aware of that "hasn't gone
json".

That is exactly what autoExportHTML is supposed to do - make a copy of bookmarks in the profile as HTML. It is possible to export HTML bookmarks to any directory you like from the bookmarks manager window from Tools > Export HTML.