NoOp wrote:

I believe what David is pointing out is that the issue "king soopers
not compatible with sm" is a browser sniffing issue. I'm currently
spoofing: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1;
Trident/5.0) and the site doesn't even blink - it loads & keeps on
going. Ditto if I spoof as Chrome or Safari. However, without
spoofing I get the update browser issue... really? I'm spoofing IE
9.

I'm sure you're right, and the webmaster knows it too and has provided user-operated error handling: "if we got it wrong, click here and we'll quit nagging you." They set a cookie so they don't forget your choice, and that's the end of it (until the user clears the cookie).

As far as I'm concerned, it's trivially easy to click one link and move on, though I do find it offensive that they don't think it's important enough to write W3C compatible code. But if I got upset every time I browsed to a noncompliant site I'd never get out of bed.

If someone prefers to change their UA string back and forth as they browse from site to site, they're welcome, but to my mind that's more effort than a click and an eye roll, even if I throw in a sigh.

Paul B. Gallagher