bobhur...@hurterconsult.com wrote:

Have not tried Safe Mode.  Are you saying to install 2.31 then try
opening Seamonkey in Safe Mode?  If this does work, then how do you
know if an extension is the problem?  Can a plug-in also cause
problems?

See my comments earlier in this thread.

The first thing you get with a try of safe mode is Seamonkey running with default settings with prefs, and all extensions disabled. If things behave, then it's a pretty reliable indicator that something non-default is the source of the problem.

In my particular case, running in safe mode caused the crash problem to go away. I reenabled extensions one at a time, and the problem didn't come back. When I finally did a standard startup, with all my extensions active, and my preferences in place, still no problem.

I have no idea what changed, but *something* was amiss in the user profile, that safe mode managed to correct.

The thing is that safe mode is something that is quick and simple to do, and if trying it solves problems, then it gives you a much better idea of where to start looking for the source.

Between the Seamonkey, Firefox and Thunderbird support groups, I see it happen far too often where somebody has some sort of a problem (often following a new version release), where they spend a lot of time butting heads with the problem (including working through about:config settings, or downgrade to a previous version with the claim that the most current version broke their setups, and subsequent refusal to upgrade). It may be that either of those is an appropriate approach, but in my experience, both are are rare. And even if they are appropriate, taking 5 minutes to make a check of how things behave in safe mode is a remarkably small investment of time and effort.

Safe mode isn't a panacea, but by my experience, when it comes to problems in Mozilla apps, problems are most often related to _something_ in the user profile, and safe mode is the fastest way of addressing. For what it's worth, you could get the same effect by using the profile manager, and creating a fresh user profile.

Smith