On 15/01/15 22:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
On 2015-01-15 12:47 AM, Daniel wrote:
On 14/01/15 22:55, Chris Ilias wrote:
On 2015-01-14 4:43 AM, Daniel wrote:
On 13/01/15 22:40, Chris Ilias wrote:
On 2015-01-12 10:42 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Mark also has a bit of a problem differentiating between NNTP and
SMTP
and has "posted" to emails instead of to newsgroups.

The newsgroup and mailing list bidirectionally mirror each other. When
someone posts to the mailing list, it appears in the newsgroup as
well,
and when someone posts to the newsgroup, it gets sent to the mailing
list as well.

Chris, if I were to be subscribing to the lists, but hadn't been here
for a week or so, would the list server request the latest message
number my computer had received from this group, and then "send" me an
e-mail containing all the more recent posts??

No; the mailing list doesn't know if you're subscribed to the newsgroup.

So, then, if I were only subscribed to the mailing list, does the list
server keep a record of which posts it has sent me??

No; when a message is sent to the list, a copy gets sent to your email
address. That's all.

Oh, sorry, Chris, I thought the list server just sent me one (giant) e-mail, containing all the posts since I last connected.

How come, then, we sometimes see posts to the News Server with Subjects like "support-seamonkey Digest, Vol 105, Issue 89"

Are these something different again??

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.32 Build identifier: 20141218225909
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.32 Build identifier: 20150101220549