Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Rufus wrote:

I would think that sheer *pride* in doing the things that make SM
different, and stand out from it's parents would be the biggest
motivator and driver to keeping those things alive, working properly,
and improving...I thought that was what "volunteerism" was all about
- not accolades.  Or maybe, much like many big projects which
collapse it's just plain gotten too big and is collapsing under it's
own weight...maybe there are "too many" people working on it, and no
consensus or direction can be had?

If you've ever worked in a large organization, you'll know that
different people have different motivations and hot buttons. Some people
are most productive if you stroke them, some are most productive if you
scold them, some are most productive if you leave them alone, and so
forth. Pride is a common motivator, but not the only one. A successful
manager will find what works for each person and push that button.

Actually, I *do* work in a very large organization...that produces, tests, and releases software for aircraft avionics. We have processes and hierarchy for what gets fixed, in what priority, and in accord with sets of guidelines...same holds for incorporation of improvements based on user/operator input.

It doesn't matter who gets hot, bothered, or has a strong opinion - in the end, we all follow a set of rules and no *single* coder gets to break a set of standards or determine what sort of output there will be if more people disagree with his particular approach.

There doesn't seem to be any "management" of what happens to SM...it seems to just get shotgunned. I may have made a rash assumption that someone was "in charge" of the SM developers...but it certainly didn't appear so in the dispute that halted my wanting to become more deeply involved.

--
     - Rufus