Ed Mullen wrote:
Miles Fidelman wrote on 1/19/2015 4:34 PM:

I am willing to be shown to be wrong but on this I do believe that Composer was abandoned long before SeaMonky became a "project" instead of a "product" of Mozilla.

It has long laguished unserved and under-developed for, perhaps, decades. For good reasons.

Actually, it's long taken on a life of it's own - see http://www.kompozer.net/ (formerly nvu, and before that... Composer - the one still in Netscape).

In fact, there is little to be served by even discussing it.

The notion of WYSIWYG Web design software is largely an abondoned issue.

I go back to the 1970s with this. When companies tried to develop programs that created code from WYSIWYG UI input to create "multimedia" programs.

Ummm... Adobe Dreamweaver anyone? There's still lot's of use for simple web pages. The notion that one has to program to put words on a web screen is just absurd for an awful lot of applications. Unfortunately, what tends to happen is words -> office -> PDF, or worse, to HTML generated by Word's horrendous exporter.

Some people actually still write real documents - not silly interactive, ad-filled nonsense. For articles, papers, reports, spec sheets, tech. manuals, lots of things, you don't want to have to "code" to put words and diagrams on a screen.

It never worked well enough to be successful.  And I doubt it ever will.

Countless companies I used to work with back that tried do do it back then are all gone.

There is nothing better than humans knowing how to write correct code and doing it.

Count the arrows in my back.  I was a pioneer.  I know this stuff.

Back to the late 70s with Sony, Laserdisc, "interactive video", all that. I was there, I spoke on it, sold it, marketed it.

I wrote programs for it.  Was National Marketing Manger for it.

There is not likely, in my lifetime, any program that can take crappy user input via some friendly UI and turn into useful executable code, HTML, script, whatever.

Just to use another example - every blog and wiki has a simple editor built in. Work just fine.

The, perhaps, operative term there is "in my lifetime." I'm almost 65. I sincerely doubt this will happen before my demise.

I've been doing this since about 1982.

I'm not from Missouri but, okay, "Show me."

I won't say definitively that it won't happen. But you can roll me over in my grave when it does.

Just for the record, Only 60, but I've been doing it as long as you have. Publishing commercial gopher sites, well before this new fangled HTML stuff came along.

Miles Fidelman