Peter Nieman wrote:
Hi,

on a Windows 7 PC running SM 2.33 we have an IMAP account for which the
provider's spam filter has been activated. The filter moves the spam to
a "spam" folder on the server.

In Seamonkey, I created a message filter for this account that is
supposed to move mail from the inbox of the server to a local folder
when "Get new messages" is clicked. At the bottom of the Message Filters
dialog I made sure that "Run selected filter(s) on:" is set to "Inbox".

I think that option just selects the folder filters are run on if you click the "Run Now" button.

However, the filter insists on also downloading the spam from the "Spam"
folder. The setting in the filter dialog seems to have no effect. Why is
that so and how can I change it?

I'm not sure how to change that. From a quick search, it looks like there are some extensions to enable filters to work on subfolders, implying that they usually only operate on the inbox. Perhaps try starting SeaMonkey with add-ons disabled (Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled) and see if filters are still applied to the spam folder?

Does SeaMonkey filter mail from the spam folder which was received while it's not running, or only spam received while SeaMonkey is running? If the latter, I'm wondering if it's possible that the mail provider briefly puts the messages in the inbox before moving them to spam, and that SeaMonkey is grabbing them from the inbox between those two steps?

Mark.