> feature of Outlook, I guess the
> limitation of one group at a time is to avoid the problem of how to deal
> with messages which appear in more than one group.

# thread involving more than one other person:

The mail can be showed in all the nodes of persons included in the mail using
the 'labeling technique'.
 The item remains single but can be accessed and modified from all the included
nodes.
 The feature is intelligently used by gmail and opera took it a step further by
using labels as folders as well,
 so its both folders in tree view and also one item in as many places as you
want by nesting labels.
but if persons in the list are many, considering that Chat apps like Whatsapp &
Skype
 are handling it well by manual creation of 'multi-contact group',
similarly multi-addressed threads can be given Auto-generated name making group
of persons.

The objective is plain: **chat apps have made it simple,
 reduced information overload and
 helped us stay on top of situation by giving a good overview**.

If even if this is not possible then maybe 'mail summaries' can have section
listing persons based on recency
 such that each person's only latest mail is displayed.
 If we want to see all the mails of that person similar to expanding that
person's node to all threads with that person,
 then we can use search and filter that person's mails instead.

# the option partially available in MS outlook in activity section, but without
overview:

 in order to access it first a contact vcard is opened,
 then in the contact ribbon in show pane
 clicking 'Activities' displays all items such as mails, contacts, upcoming
appointments, etc. with that person.

# grouping in file manager (windows explorer) where it shows all items in
groups all at a time.

> There, each file or folder clearly falls into one group. You don't get a
> file with a name beginning with both A and G, or with a size both
> greater than 1MB and less than 1MB, etc. But you can have an email
> thread containing messages from both person 1 and person 3.

By allowing it to appear in both the nodes of person 1 & person 3; similar to
labeling
 if there are many persons then there can be an option to view
 only contacts in address book or to completely disable this feature.

 ****

 The bottomline is to borrow the feature refined to perfection by chat apps.
 Like Skype, Whatsapp, messenger