On 9/5/2015 10:27 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 9/5/2015 8:17 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> Just noticed that with 2.35 update URL icons broken when temporarily
>>> dragging URL shortcut to desktop. Was broken in earlier version but was
>>> fixed in 2.31. The problem is different this time.
>>>
>>> Before 2.31 the problem was the URL shortcut listed an icon that was the
>>> site's favicon cached in profile's shortcutCache but the generated icon
>>> was a 0-byte file.
>>>
>>> This time the file just does not exist. Example:
>>>
>>> [InternetShortcut]
>>> URL=https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl
>>> IDList=
>>> HotKey=0
>>> IconFile=C:\Users\Jonathan\AppData\Local\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\********.default\shortcutCache\9PF4OFpTd5DW+gjfwvzo5g==.ico
>>> IconIndex=0
>>>

>>> 9PF4OFpTd5DW+gjfwvzo5g==.ico does not exist. In fact no icon files have
>>> be created since update on the third.
>>>
>>> OS Windows 7
>>>

>> Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (x64)
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.35
>>
>> I just now dragged the bugzilla.mozilla.org icon to my desktop.  I got
>> the standard dark blue disc with the light blue seamonkey image as the
>> shortcut's icon.  Is there a problem with this?
>

> I get blank page icon. Same OS
>
> Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (x64)
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
> SeaMonkey/2.35
>

> <http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/usenet/SMshortcutCache.jpg>
>
> Note difference with older link for AngularJS with stackoverflow icon vs
> new Bugzilla link to the right. Properies so blank icon and the URL file
> points to non-existent file M1DXC+wwzmqA9IEIhJkqQA==.ico
>
> This did work with 2.33.

Have you tried this with SeaMonkey launched in Safe Mode?

>> Note:  I much prefer seeing the icon I got instead of a favicon.  It
>> makes it easier for me to distinguish Internet shortcuts from other
>> objects.  If the shortcuts used favicons, I would not be able to
>> distinguish the object from a locally installed application, a data
>> file, or a shortcut to another local object since these often have
>> differing icons.
>>

> I use SeaMonkey document icons for actual HTML files, but for URL
> shortcuts the favicon is very helpful for quick ID-ing link

I captured an old icon showing the Mozilla dragon against an orange
background and edited it to enhance the background.  I use this as the
icon for HTML files, reserving the dark blue disc with the light blue
seamonkey image for the SeaMonkey executable and for Internet shortcuts.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.