Daniel wrote:
>for spoofing not only the browser ID, but the platform.  I keep an
>archive of downloadable software for troubleshooting work, and that
>includes some Mac content.  Some sites that offer both Windows and Mac
>versions are aggressive in trying to figure out the platform by sniffing
>the UA string.  Thus, if I want to get a Mac download in Windows (or
>Linux), I have to spoof that the platform is Mac.

Smithy, do you then use the Mac software in a Virtual Machine or some
such on your Windows/Linux physical machine??

I don't use Mac stuff at all, at least on my own machines, because I don't own a Mac. My purpose is to have a collection of Mac stuff available, when I'm doing support work on a Mac.

Thus, I keep a fairly sizable archive of downloaded stuff on an external hard drive. The majority is Windows (including a collection of portable apps), but I also have some Mac stuff, and I carry a number of Linux ISOs, both full distros, and troubleshooting things like Ultimate Boot CD, Trinity Rescue CD, etc. I also include the bulk of Microsoft updates through WSUS.

With this one, it allows me to work nearly entirely off-line. Sometimes, that's a matter of convenience, when I'm working in a place where a wi-fi isn't easily available, but I occasionally do support work at conferences in remote places, where Internet connectivity is barely above dial-up -- enough for checking email, or light-grade web browsing, but not enough for doing multi GB of software downloads.

Now that Microsoft includes antivirus with a base install of Windows, it's not as important, but this approach allows me to deploy a new installation that is fully updated on Windows, security tools and applications before it ever touches the Internet.

Smith