Arnie Goetchius wrote:
DoctorBill wrote:
Every once in a while I get stuck in a
"Warning....registry virus error..."

It stops everything on SM.
SM does not respond.   Can't get out.

Says I have to call some 800 number to get my
computer back - big long worded thing that repeats
itself.

I have been able to get out only by repeated
ALT-F4 and restarting Windows (XP) and then after
a while of that, by clicking on the icon below and
clicking "Close".  I can't remember exactly what I
do, but eventually it goes away.

Is this the "Extortion Virus" thing out of Russia
I have heard about ?

What is the best way to get out of it ?
BTW - I can't find any FREE virus checkers that
work in XP.  My computer is too old to run the new
Windows.

DoctorBill

As a reply to EVERYONE who has "suggested" solutions comprised of BUYING a new
computer and employing Windows 10 - Most of you seem to think that money just
grows in my garden like weeds.

An older retired person on a fixed income cannot just go out and buy a compuker
that has Windows 10 on it !

Life is not always so simple....I figured this thing out myself, as per usual,
and just press Alt-F4 rapidly and often and THAT works to bug out of whatever
this problem is.

One of you gave me a link to a MalewareBytes that DOES work in Windows XP.
Thanks to that individual.  It IS working now.

I have inquired about BUYING Windows 10 for my system which has a Celeron D 3.33
GHz CPU with 2 GB of Memory and 2 TB of HD.  I am told - DON'T DO IT !  May run
but would have problems with 'Drivers'.
I don't know enough to spend $$ to try it and don't trust Salespeople to not
screw me into the ground.

Thanks to those who actually helped me.

I'm with you. Twenty years into fixed income retirement and well into 9th
decade. I have one XP SP3 and one Win 7 going strong. I note that you said you
were on XP SP2. Is there any reason you can apply the free upgrade to XP SP3?

I don't know where to get and/or apply SP3.

If I get it from Microsoft, won't they zap my XP so I can't use it ? I trust Microsoft about as far as I could throw Bill Gates.

Then - even if I could get SP3 - would it make my XP unstable.

Consider that I have a stable system now and if it goes TU, then I am screwed. I have the system disks and would have to wipe my Hard Drive and start COMPLETELY over !

Long story short - Is it safe to apply SP3 ?
From where ?