On 3/2/2016 10:22 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> On 3/2/2016 12:40 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>>> Spell-checked an outgoing message tonight that contained this sentence:
>>>
>>> For example, the common respectful greeting 오셨습니까
>>> means literally, “You’ve come,” and a Korean may end
>>> a conversation by saying “Then” (그럼).
>>>
>>> SM ignored the Korean bit and flagged the word "ve," though it would
>>> have been perfectly happy with "You've." It didn't recognize the fancy
>>> apostrophe and treated it as a word separator.
>>>
>>> Any chance someone could fix that?
>>>

>> Was that in a HTML-formatted message or a plain-text message?
>
> Plain text, but I don't see what difference it makes.

"Curly" or "smart" apostrophes and quotes are NOT part of the standard
character set for plain-text messages.  Do not use them.

Read <http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/>.  No, you do not
have to use the demoroniser tool; but that page should give you insight
into your problem.

--
David E. Ross

While many tributes to the late Supreme Court Associate Justice
Antonin Scalia now fill the news media, his legacy was not
necessarily positive.  See my "What Price Order, Mr. Justice Scalia?"
at <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_scalia_wrong.html>.