Ray_Net wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 05/04/2016 21:21:
OG wrote:

While in SeaMonkey for newsgroups (mail) I click on a posted link and
SeaMonkey opens its web browser.
Unfortunately SeaMonkey cannot handle the web page.

So how do I tell SeaMonkey Mail to open say FireFox as the default?

If it's just an occasional problem with a poorly coded page, simply
copy the URL from the location bar, launch Firefox, and paste it into
the location bar there.

If you want to make Firefox your default browser, sorry, I don't know
how to do that. AFAIK SM will always launch its own browser if SM is
open, even if the operating system knows to launch a different browser
when you open a URL.

"SM will always launch its own browser if SM is open" GRRR..... SM MUST
send the page TO the DEFAULT browser .... otherwise .. why is the use of
"default browser" if nobody respect this rule ?

Most programs will open file types they know how to open if you try to open them from within those programs. If you're in Excel and try to open a .csv file, Excel will try to do it itself, and if you're in Word and try to open a .txt file, Word will try to do it itself. In fact, most programs will even try to open unfamiliar types and fail if you try to open them from within those programs. So if you're in SM and you try to open a web page, how is it any surprise that SM tries to do it itself? Remember, SM thinks it's a browser, and with good reason.

But if you try to open a web link from the operating system (e.g., from a Windows Explorer listing), the OS will look up the default program and use that.

I seem to recall someone here had a trick for what you want, but I don't recall what it was. Until they notice this and answer, I'll just refer you back to the first paragraph of my original reply.

Paul B. Gallagher