Richard Owlett wrote:
Part of my problem is that Netscape/Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey has always
worked so well I've had no cause to search for answers for odd questions.

*KUDOS* to generations of developers!!!!

Problems/questions discovered while going through mechanics of creating
a very customized profile and moving existing data to it.

1. Data Manager lists sites that should never have any permanent
reference on my machine.
    The only page I could find was http://kb.mozillazine.org/Data_Manager
    It has tabs for Cookies, Permissions, Preferences, Passwords, and
Storage
       Cookies: (which I delete daily) and Passwords seem to be handled
properly
       Permissions and Preferences: - what is function?
       I can think of no instance where I would like a site to deviate
from my
       personal defaults for more than a day. I routinely surf with
cookies and
       JavaScript disabled.
       Storage: - What is this?
2. In about:config is there any way to discover *ALL* non-default items?
3. "cert8.db - Security certificate settings " - what is in there? In a
never used
    profile its size is 64 kb. In my active profile it is 704 kb.

TIA

As far as sites that you never heard of go, those are most likely third party servers that supply content that goes with web pages that you have requested. There are some sites that serve images, some that serve javascripts, and some that serve stylesheets. There may be others that serve special items like videos or audio.