NFN Smith wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Ray_Net wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 19/07/2016 00:59:
Ray_Net wrote:

So the best default User agent string could be:
: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.38
same as Firefox/41.0

then it will be recognized as FF by the bad sniffing method and
recognized as SM by everybody.

You're thinking like a human being, silly!

Some sniffers reject a UA string that contains "SeaMonkey" even if it
also contains "Firefox." That's why the solution in this thread worked
-- because Chase's sniffer is that stupid. You have to pretend to be
Firefox AND pretend not to be SeaMonkey.

I just thinked that the sniffer will only use the last "word" which is
in this case "Firefox/41.0" instead of in the normal UAstring the last
"word" is "SeaMonkey/2.38"

So could be better to have the default string this:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.38 same
as Firefox/41.0
instead of this:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
SeaMonkey/2.38

Is my idea a bad idea ?

If it works, it's good; if it doesn't, it's bad. Only a Chase customer
can tell us. I can't log in because I don't bank with them. My bank is
fine with SeaMonkey.

The idea is good, but it's essentially a twist on "advertise Firefox
compatibility". Depending on the sniffer, it _may_ work to change the
order, so that Firefox is last.  However, because Chase is committed to
brand name of browser, it looks like the presence of _anything_ in a UA
string that's not stock Firefox, that will cause them to complain about
an unsupported browser.

Unfortunately, I don't think any amount of complaining to Chase customer
service is likely to change how they handle things.

Smith

How does one go about changing the user agent string in SM2.40? Could not easily find that information.

I contacted Chase Tech Support today and was told this was the first time they heard there was a problem and I was the first caller. If we want Chase to fix the problem we have to get their attention with enough calls to tie up their web tech support phone lines. Don't forget to escalate to a supervisor.

Larry