John E composed on 2016-07-24 22:19 (UTC+0100):

If I press Help -> Check for Updates on my 2.33.1 browser, a small
window comes up saying:

Update failed
Something is preventing Seamonkey from updating securely.  Please make
sure you have the latest version from:
http://www.semonkey-project.org

If 2.33.1 was provided by your distro's package management system, automatic updates from mozilla.org are not possible. From what source did you install 2.33.1? If the install method basically amounted to extraction from an archive (e.g. .tgz or .bz2), then just find and delete the directory 2.33.1 was installed into and install 2.40 either from your distro's package management system, or the version previously pointed to via http://www.seamonkey-project.org/. My 14.04LTS shows seamonkey-mozilla-build 2.40 available as having been installed from Trusty sources, as configured at installation over two years ago.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/