Richard Alan wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

Richard Alan wrote:
Cecil Bankston wrote:

I am receiving spam or scam messages, consisting of only a shortened
link, from the e-mail address of a friend.  If the messages actually
originate in the friend's computer, should they always be found in the
friend's sent folder?  If the from address is being spoofed, is there
an easy way to distinguish that?

Read the headers and check for the sender's IP address. Then verify if
your friend uses that service, or lives at that location.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup

You could do that if you're really curious, but it's tiresome to do it
repeatedly.

I think once would be enough.   :-)

Well, in my experience spam is usually very obviously crude to the point of stupidity, but once in a while I'm not sure, so I ask my friend, "did you really send that?" And once in a long while the answer's yes. So it's not enough to decide that one message is spam -- the next one might not be.

By now my friends are well enough trained that when I get a suspicious message, it's hardly ever from them. YMMV.

Paul B. Gallagher