On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:13:51 +1200, Ralph Fox wrote:
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 19:50:06 +1000, Daniel wrote:
On 18/08/2016 10:07 AM, James wrote:

How do I make Seamonkey open say Firefox when I click on a URL ?
I do not like Seamonkey as a browser.
Firefox is my default but Seamonkey ignores that.

James, as SeaMonkey includes a browser, it naturally uses that browser.

However, it used to be possible to do as you wanted, i.e. when you
clicked on a link in an e-mail, the web page would open in another
browser. There used to be a preference in about:config which you would
change and away you would go, but I've looked through about:config and
also at http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries to see if I could
spot the pref ... but no go!!

Sorry!

If I remember correctly from long ago, setting these preferences
          network.protocol-handler.external.http
          network.protocol-handler.external.https
to true will do it -- but may also have unwelcome side effects.
Use with caution and be prepared to back out.

REF:  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.protocol-handler.external.%28protocol%29

After checking further, I find that in more recent versions of SM this does not work for clicking on links in the SM mail/news component. When the preference is set to true, clicking the link will do nothing.

It does still seem to work for links in the SM browser component. Setting the preference to "true" tells SM to send the link to a helper application instead of opening it in SM. Of course if you are using the SM browser then you may not want to send http or https links to a helper application, but you might want to send other kinds of links.

--
Kind regards
Ralph