Marisa Ciceran wrote:
I have been a faithful user of Seamonkey and its predecessors since the
mid-1990s. Have there been no updates to Seamonkey since the release of
version 2.40 in March 2016?

That's correct.

It is for months that I have been unable to log into my Chase bank
accounts because chase.com claims that Seamonkey is out of date.  I know
that there have been extensive discussions on this chronic problem, but
since I am not a programmer I have not been able to decipher from the
various threads whether or not a viable solution has been found. The
suggestions to change banks or stop using Seamonkey are not reasonable
options to me.

Or, another option would be to use another browser just for Chase. There's nothing that requires you to commit exclusively to a single browser.

However, judging by reports in this newsgroup, there seems to be an increasing number of sites that are complaining about Seamonkey. If you have the setting for Firefox compatibility enabled (and I don't remember where it is, at the moment), Seamonkey 2.40 advertises that it's Firefox 43.0. Although Chase has had historic problems with demanding Firefox (and ignoring other Gecko browsers), I think the complaints are more from sites that object to Firefox 43, rather than Seamonkey.

Back in July, I did some testing with Seamonkey and Chase, and noting my results in a couple of messages that I posted to a similar discussion in this newsgroup.

I'll re-iterate highlights here:

I ran a some tests at https://chaseonline.chase.com, using both spoofing from
PrefBar, as well as installed browsers. I found:

1) If I try a login with a standard Seamonkey Profile (and default user agent
strings), Chase complains about my browser. UA string that I used is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0
SeaMonkey/2.40

2) Using PrefBar to spoof, I have no problem logging in, if the UA is showing:

* default Firefox:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
* Chrome:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko)
Chrome/49.0.2623.87 Safari/537.36
* Opera
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko)
Chrome/49.0.2623.75 Safari/537.36 OPR/36.0.2130.32

3) I also found that when I am spoofing, after I get past the login dialog, I
can change the UA back to the Seamonkey default, and there's no apparent
problems with further access.

4) I tried a login with PaleMoon 32,, and found no problems with login.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko)
Chrome/49.0.2623.87 Safari/537.36

I also noted in a separate reply:

How does one go about changing the user agent string in SM2.40?
Could not easily find that information.

There's a couple of ways, as noted elsewhere in this thread.

1) You can do it permanently, via changes in prefs.js:

J. Weaver Jr. noted:

"about:config",

create string "general.useragent.override.chase.com"

set it to your current useragent string _without_ the "SeaMonkey".
(mine is "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/43.0")

2) Use an extension, either PrefBar or UserAgentSwitcher.
Personally, I prefer PrefBar, partially because it seems easier to use,
> and partly, because I like some of the other options offered, of
> getting to preferences quickly.

I do know that with PrefBar, the default strings offered are *very*
old, and you generally have to go in and edit to match something
reasonably current. I'm currently using:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0

Since that posting, I've updated my spoofing string to use:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0

I suspect that when Seamonkey 2.46 comes out and the string used by advertising "Firefox compatibility" is upgraded, the growing number of Seamonkey conflicts will go away. Until then, you'll have to do the compatibility settings yourself, to make sure you're advertising a more current version of Firefox.

Thus, your choices for that are either hard-coding into prefs.js (which you'll need to remove when you upgrade Seamonkey), or using one of the extensions noted here.

However, when you resort to spoofing you do have do a little maintenance work, because Firefox versions are a constantly moving target. If you hard-code into prefs.js, then you'll probably want to remove that setting, when the next version of Seamonkey is released.

Smith